Sunday, February 19, 2017

Week Five: Foundress's Week

Unfortunately for Foundresses Week, I was only able to attend one event. With my history class, I went on a tour with Sister Roseanne Murphy as our leader. The most memorable stop of the tour was the fist location, which was the church. Sister Roseanne explained the significance of the stained glass windows. To my surprise, there was more to them than I expected. I wanted to visit on a sunny day to see the full effects of them.The next stop was at the Saint Julie lounge. It was interesting to discover that the crest to Notre Dame de Namur had been located on the fireplace the entire time. I have never noticed it before. Then we traveled to the statue next to the Ralston mansion. If I can recall correctly, it is a statue of Saint Francis. Either way, it was interesting to learn more about the artist and how the sisters attained the piece. The mansion was the next location. There we learned the history of the building and the school. Even how Mr. Ralston became wealthy because of the Gold Rush. The last destination was a small garden with white statues, next to the art gallery. It was a quiet and peaceful place. While the tour was a great experience, it would have been much better if it was not pouring rain that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment